CYLINDER BLOCK: BLOCK 1
Purpose Montessori material CYLINDER BLOCK: BLOCK 1
Educates the eye to perceive differences in dimension. Promotes small muscle control and hand eye coordination. Indirectly prepares the child for writing since the fingers and thumb for holding a pencil are used to hold the knobs.
Each cylinder decreses by 1/2 cm in all three dimensions, and as a result progresses in diameter from thin to thick and tall to short.
See the "Technical Description" section for the procedure for presenting this material to the child.
Cylinders progress in height and diameter from small to large. The Cylinder Blocks introduce the child to the first stage of visual discrimination of size. Made of solid beech wood with a satin smooth lacquer finish. Each block has slightly rounded edges and each cylinder is individually sanded and lacquered.
- Take the block to the child's table. Place the block on the table between you and the child. Close enough for the child to see into the cavities when the cylinder are removed.
- Sit to the right of the child if you are right-handed and to the left if you are left-handed. This is to ensure that you do not block the child's vision with your arm or hand.
- Hold the knob of the first cylinder at the extreme left of the block.
- Remove the cilynder from its cavity and place it on the table in the middle of the block. The cylinder should be placed on the table with as little noise as possible.
- Continue to remove the cylinders in succession from left to right until all the cylinders are removed from their cavities and placed on the table. The cylinders should be grouped in front of the block in the middle and not in straight line.
- Look in the first cavity and then at the cylinders. this is to demostrate to the child that you are choosing a cylinder by matching it to its cavity and not randomly by trial and error.
- Take the cylinder that fits into the cavity at the extreme left by its knob.
- Replace the cylinder that fits into the cavity at the extreme left by its knob.
- Replace the cylinder in its cavity.
- Continue to replace the cylinders in succession from left to right until all the cylinders are replaced.
- At this point, the child may ask you, or you may ask the child to try the exercice.
- At the end to the exercise, take the block bacl to its place in the shelf.
- Show the child where the material is kept.
Why choose GAM?
Pedagogically specialized environments. Certified quality of materials and products.
Our Research & Development Department, with the advice of experts from various fields, constantly works on the technical perfection and stylistic renewal of our lines and products.read more
Multiyear warranties and after-sales service. Corporate and product safety certifications. Design layouts and custom furnishings. Technical and pedagogical consultancy.read more
The solutions offered are tailored to the customer's needs: from the first contact to the assembly of the furniture, Gonzagarredi follows its customers every step of the wayread more
High quality products
Our products conform to the latest technical standards in force in the sector with non-toxic paints and dyes, Class E1 formaldehyde limits, Class 1 wooden furniture on request and Class 1IM soft elements, according to Italian Ministerial Decree of 16th July 2014. All have been successfully tested in accredited laboratories for safety, resistance and toxicity.read more
You might also like