Purpose of the Pink Montessori Tower
The Pink Tower educates the hand to perceive differences in size shape and wight. Develops visual discrimination of size in three dimensions. Indirectly prepares the child for mathematical concepts in the decimal system (10 cunes). Indirectly prepares the child for volume (the largest cube would hold a litre). Indirectly prepares the child for geometry (cubes of numbers 1-10)
Control of error: If the tower is badly built,its will topple over.
See the "Technical Description" section for the procedure for presenting this material to the child.
This series of cubes develops visual discrimination of size in 3 dimensions. Exploration with this material prepares the child for mathematical concepts in the decimal system, geometry and volume. The Pink Tower consists of ten wooden cubes painted pink, increasing increments from 1 cm3 to 1000 cm3.
Pink Tower Presentation:
- Spread a mat on the floor.
- Bring the cubes to the mat, one at a time.
- The cubes should be held by spreading the hand over the top.
- Place each cube on the mat. Use the space in the middle or towards the right side of the mat. The cubes should not be placed in order of size. Mix the cubes so that the child would have to look at them to decide which to choose.
- take the largest cube and place it at the top left hand corner of the mat.
- Place the next largest cube concentrically on the previous one. this must be done in one movement. Do not shift the cube around once it has been placed on the previous one.
- Continue to place the cubes one on top of the other until a tower is built. When the tower is built, give the child a chance to observe it.
- Undo the tower by removing one cube at a time and placing it on a mat.
- Continue in this manner until all the cubes have been taken down.
- At this point, the child may ask you, or you may ask the child to try the exercise.
- At the end of the exercise let the child help you to take the cubes one by one, back to their place on the shelfl.
- Let the child help to roll the mat and put it away.
1. The tower can be built by placing the cubes with one corner exactly above the corner of the preceding cubes so that two corners of the tower are exatly even.
2. The smallest cube can be fitted round the two ledges left of each cube in turn. This demostrates the relationship in size between each cube. The difference between any two cubes in succession is always the smallest cube.
Why choose GAM?
Pedagogically specialized environments. Certified quality of materials and products.
Our Research & Development Department, with the advice of experts from various fields, constantly works on the technical perfection and stylistic renewal of our lines and products.read more
Multiyear warranties and after-sales service. Corporate and product safety certifications. Design layouts and custom furnishings. Technical and pedagogical consultancy.read more
The solutions offered are tailored to the customer's needs: from the first contact to the assembly of the furniture, Gonzagarredi follows its customers every step of the wayread more
High quality products
Our products conform to the latest technical standards in force in the sector with non-toxic paints and dyes, Class E1 formaldehyde limits, Class 1 wooden furniture on request and Class 1IM soft elements, according to Italian Ministerial Decree of 16th July 2014. All have been successfully tested in accredited laboratories for safety, resistance and toxicity.read more
You might also like